Sunday 28 June 2015

Working on a budget or just a cheapskate?



We all know most Naija parents are all struggling financially, the economy isn't so much favorable currently. Whilst many are having it all rosy and easy going financially many are still on the average in earnings. I'm a working mother so is my husband, the love we have for our kids has made us to sacrifice a lot personally and  cut cost on personal needs just to make them not lack in any area of their lifes as we did while growing up.


To run my home affairs based on finance I draw up a monthly budget in line with our income allocated to the home.  In Naija, it's a lot cheaper when you liaise with those in the rural communities to buy food items than to go to the open market, purchasing provision is still cheaper when gotten from wholesalers. This suggestion will only benefit you if you have trusted means of long term storage.

I remember late last year I decided to cut cost on my hair extensions. I had not less than 9 different hair extensions of different inches I go‎t over a period of 3years and a total cost of almost half a million naira. I felt utterly bad I spent that much on only hair extensions. I didn't add the cost of treatment and fixing for the duration of 3years. I decided I was going to give them away and go team natural! 

I got full support from my spouse he even opted to give me the hair cut so as to save cost and channel that money to something more productive in the life of our kids. My readers I wanted to go natural and the first batch of hair care products I bought almost ran me down financially, ranging from Cantu products to jojoba oils, coconut oil and shea butter. It didn't end there, some suggestions I got from some people required some of my kitchen products will be used in my hair. Ah! This obviously isn't cheaper I muttered. Mayonnaise, tea bags and olive oil Were required to nourish my natural hair. 

I thought to myself it's only a matter of time and I won't need so much products. As time went on, to comb my hair was extremely painful ‎and not as easy as the permed hair. Just too much rigors to go through every morning,  I still have my natural hair as I write and I guarantee you it isn't cheaper one bit. I'm confused what I should do to it, when I think back I just wonder if I was trying to work on a budget or just been a cheapskate?


Photo credit: google images.‎

6 comments:

  1. This team natural thing has gotten very expensive ooo...they will tell you to buy all manner of products because its good for your hair. your hair will grow with or without those products. i think using shea butter is just fine. Beswides it shouldnt be this expensive to go natural


    www.thatghlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just tire oo...after this batch i'll just stick with the shea butter like you suggested and probably add coconut oil as well.

      Delete
  2. LOL!!! Team natural has its own wahala but not everyone has a bad story to tell. These days, one's hair has eggs, onions, avocados et al for breakfast and okra for lunch. It all depends on you my dear. Majority of those hair products have the same ingredients.

    When people talk about natural hair being hard to comb, I always refer them to 'Easy Comb' leave in detangler and hair softening therapy from 'texture my way'. That has been my bedrock and contains olive oil and shea butter which softens natural hair. It was protective styling for me for over 18 months so I didn't really need all those hair products other than shampoo, conditioner and easy comb. I only started buying curling creams, pudding et al recently when I became brave, kicked protective styling to the curb and decided to try bantu knots and twists outs. Find out the products that work for you and stick to them. You dont have to go overboard - and no, you are not a cheapskate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an extra tough hair, a 4C I think. I use a leave-in conditioner and it doesn't comb as easy as the permed hair. Oh well, I guess I might just pick out a detangler, shea butter and coconut oil as my hair products only when this batch of products are exhausted.

      Delete
  3. Loool... Team Natural Hair? not for me

    ReplyDelete

If you want your articles and stories to be featured on the blog please send an email to:mitchellesqueen@gmail.com